Did I hear free tickets to Honk Kong? Yes!! 😺✨ Hong Kong is indeed offering 500,000 free plane tickets to boost tourism starting in March, and lasting for six months. The tickets will be distributed through various methods such as a lottery system and two-for-one purchases. The Hong Kong Airport Authority spent $2 billion in 2020 to buy tickets from airlines including HK Express, Cathay Pacific Airways and Hong Kong Airlines.
The giveaway is part of the government’s effort to revive the city’s economy after its three-year isolation during the pandemic and political turmoil. The “Hello Hong Kong” campaign includes events such as the Rugby Sevens tournament and a city marathon. Ready to pack your bags? We wouldn’t leave you without giving you a few suggestions to kickstart your planning!
Tickets ✅. Now, what?
While in the city, you must make sure to emerge in the rich cultural heritage in everything you do! Some of the must-do things to do in Hong Kong include:
- Victoria Harbour: Take a night-time ferry ride across the iconic Victoria Harbour for stunning views of the city skyline.
- The Peak: Take a ride on the Peak Tram for panoramic views of the city from the highest point on Hong Kong Island.
- Temples and Monasteries: Explore the city’s rich cultural heritage by visiting some of its famous temples and monasteries, such as the Man Mo Temple and the Po Lin Monastery.
- Shopping: Hong Kong is a shopper’s paradise, offering everything from high-end luxury goods to local street markets.
- Food and Drinks: Indulge in the city’s famous cuisine, including dim sum, seafood, and traditional Chinese dishes.
- Hiking and Nature: Take a hike in the lush countryside surrounding Hong Kong, including the famous Dragon’s Back Trail.
- Art Galleries and Museums: Explore the city’s rich cultural heritage through its art galleries and museums, such as the Hong Kong Museum of Art and the M+ Museum.
Can’t wait? Start your Hong Kong Trip Plan now, and add all of these activities to it. But wait, there’s more!
Adventures beyond Hong Kong
While you might spend days in this cultural bustling metropolis, and never get enough, there are also plenty of opportunities to escape the city and explore the surrounding areas. Here are a few of our favorite short trips around Hong Kong that are perfect for travelers looking to get a taste of some of the Chinese authentic charms:
- Lantau Island
Lantau Island is just a short ferry ride away from central Hong Kong and is home to some of the city’s most stunning natural attractions. Here you’ll find the giant Buddha statue at the Po Lin Monastery, which is one of the largest bronze Buddhas in the world. You can also explore the breathtaking views of the South China Sea from the top of Lantau Peak or visit the serene Tai O fishing village.
- Stanley Market
Located on the southern side of Hong Kong Island, Stanley Market is a popular destination for shopping and dining. This charming market is known for its street food, clothing, and souvenirs, and is the perfect place to pick up a few mementos of your trip. Take a stroll along the seafront promenade, visit the famous Stanley Beach, and enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at one of the local restaurants.
- Sai Kung
Sai Kung is a picturesque fishing village located in the New Territories of Hong Kong. This quiet and serene area is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of the city, and is perfect for nature lovers. Take a hike through the stunning countryside, visit the impressive Hong Kong Geopark, or simply relax on the beach and soak up the sun.
Macau is just a short ferry ride from Hong Kong and is a former Portuguese colony known for its unique blend of Chinese and Portuguese cultures. Take a stroll through the historic center of Macau, admire the impressive architecture of the famous ruins of St. Paul’s, and indulge in some of the city’s famous Portuguese cuisine.
Okay, now you have all you need to start your Hong Kong Trip Plan. Wanna make it WAY better? Look for a Hong Kong Catt in our Cattalog, and have a local fill your Trip Plan with even more fun things to do. Our Catts can also help you with cross cultural challenges, finding the best places to stay, the most yummy foods, and completely personalizing your journey. No matter what your interests, there’s sure to be activities in and around Hong Kong that are perfect FOR YOU. Let’s go!
– From your friends at Citycatt 😸