Seattle is the ultimate destination for travelers looking for a superior foodie scene, live music, and surrounding evergreen forests. For the perfect mix of metropolitan, city life and a nature escape, Seattle offers access to both.
Jumpstart your morning
Kick off your morning with one of Café Diablo’s killer Cuban style coffee drinks and a slice of their famous coconut bread, just located on the top of Queen Anne. Following breakfast, only a ten-minute walk away is Kerry Park, where you can find the notorious panoramic view of Seattle’s skyline.
For those looking for an outdoor escape in the bustling city, head to Discovery Park for a stroll through miles of walking paths. Enjoy the evergreen forest scenery and stretches of beach along the Puget Sound.
For a more cultural experience, walk or take the city bus down Queen Anne Hill to the MoPOP Museum (Museum of Pop Culture) for a taste of Seattle’s music and pop culture scene. Located on the Seattle Center Campus inside the multicolored architectural phenomenon that supposedly resembles a smashed electric guitar. Pay homage to Seattle musical legends such as Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, and Pearl Jam.
Other sites to explore nearby include:
The Space Needle – Take a 520 ft. elevator ride up Seattle’s most iconic historical landmark to their observation deck to check out the city’s best vantage point.
Chihuly Garden and Glass – Just below the Space Needle, this glass may be one of the most surprising and fascinating experience in the city and definitely worth a visit.
Have lunch and have fun
After working up an appetite, make your way downtown along Elliot Bay’s waterfront to Pike Place Market for some lunch and to witness the legendary fish-tossing vendors. For some of Seattle’s best seafood, grab a table at Matt’s in the Market. Be sure to order the steamed mussels & clams with chorizo or the market fish for a true taste of Pike Place’s freshest catch.
Also worth checking out at Pike Place are:
- Floral Vendors – Famous in Seattle’s market be sure to grab a bouquet or just enjoy the astonishing range of local flowers lining the market’s hallways.
- Beecher’s Handmade Cheese – Deemed the world’s best Mac ‘n Cheese as well as one of Oprah’s “Favorite Things” this cheese maker serves up some delicious goodies you will want to indulge in.
- The Gum Wall – Located below the market on Post Alley, this strangely notorious brick wall is completely covered by used chewing gum. Take a short walk for a strange, yet legendary photo opt.
- The Nest, Thompson Hotel – At the top of this contemporary hotel is one of the best rooftop bars in Seattle. Order from their list of artisanal cocktails and soak up the sweeping views of Elliot Bay and Seattle’s waterfront piers.
Dinner for all tastes
For dinner plans, check out some of the local favorites:
- Momiji – Head to Seattle’s trendiest neighborhood, Capitol Hill, an excellent local sushi spot in the city. Reserve a table on their back garden patio for beautiful food and atmosphere.
- Crow – Located in lower Queen Anne, this cozy, dim-lit restaurant serves up arguably the best, roasted chicken in Seattle. Ask for a table at the bar to witness their expert chefs cook up your meal as you sip on some great cocktails or craft beer.
- Oyster Annex House – The perfect seafood spot in old town Ballard, one of Seattle’s most historic Scandinavian neighborhoods. Definitely stop in for happy hour to taste some delicious samplings of seafood appetizers, including fried clams, oysters, chowder, and fish & chips.
Alexis is a Seattelite currently living in Rome. Her mom was a flight attendant, so traveling became an engrained part of her life. Apart from exploring new destinations, she’s also an avid health nut. Her passions for travel and health collided, resulting in her blog, Love & Layovers, where she shares her insights and discoveries on health, wellness and travel to empower others to lead a healthier lifestyle and to inspire a sense of curiosity and adventure. You can contact her at email@example.com or check out her Instagram account, @loveandlayover